5 Reasons Why You Need Emotional Intelligence
January 5, 2018
Emotional intelligence has become an important quality in the workplace and in society. Management teams around the globe are starting to see emotional intelligence as a highly sort after commodity.
So, what is emotional intelligence?
It is quite simply, the ability to identify feelings in yourself and others and manage them.
Why is this such an important trait to have?
- When you are able to identify your feelings and deal with them, it is usually a good indication that you can handle stress well. Dealing with stress in a healthy and manageable way can help those around you and boast overall morale. In the business world, the only constant is change, and a high degree of emotional intelligence can make this process a lot more seamless.
- Whether it is in the workplace or at home its human nature to want to be heard. A common trait of those with emotional intelligence is that they are generally good listeners. Listening to other people’s thoughts and managing their emotions and needs is an invaluable quality.
- People with a high degree of emotional intelligence usually find it easier to develop as they are more open to constructive criticism. Self-development in all aspects of life can be a positive thing. Whether you are more in tune with how to be a better partner or a better employee, being more aware of where you can develop will ultimately help you grow as a person.
- Empathy is a great tool for both your professional and emotional relationships. With the ability to be so in-tune with others you will find that building relationships is a lot easier, more genuine and will yield better results.
- Those with a high degree of emotional intelligence are generally able to make decisions that incorporate the bigger picture. They not only look at their own needs but the needs of others as well. This is invaluable in the workplace and in relationships.
Whilst a lot of emphasis has been placed on IQ over the years, society is starting to see how valuable emotional intelligence is.
Counselling is a great way to increase to your self-awareness which can assist with your emotional intelligence. The more in tune we are with our feelings and how we impact others, the better we can forge relationships and cope with life.
Call Sharman’s Therapy Centre on the Gold Coast today.